Thursday, December 30, 2010

Bullstrode's Latin Phrasebook: Absens Haeres Non Erit

Absens Haeres Non Erit: Literally means that an absent person will not be an heir. In legal usage, the phrase refers to the principle that someone who is not present is unlikely to inherit a bounty.

As a firm believer in the veracity of this principle I spend a great deal of my time attending to the death-beds of ailing royals and wealthy but infirm socialites. In 1989 I famously travelled by air, land and sea for 3 days without sleep to be at the side of Hans-Adam II, Prince of Liechtenstein only to find the reports of the gravity of his illness had been grossly overstated and the good prince was in fact only suffering a mild cold.

While my commitment to not running afoul of the doctrine of absens haeres non erit has yet to result in me being bequeathed any real money or hereditary titles, I am determined not to miss out such an opportunity simply because I was not present at the relevant person’s passing. You can't catch a fish without your line in the water!

4 comments:

  1. hmmm... I've got to try this. Always wanted my own Kingdom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this useful info..legal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work. https://www.gpwlaw-mi.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are looking for more information about flat rate locksmith Las Vegas check that right away. Legal Entity Identifier Wikipedia

    ReplyDelete

 
Law Blogs